Public Sector Audit Appointments Limited (PSAA) was incorporated by the Local Government Association (LGA) in August 2014. PSAA is a company limited by guarantee without share capital and is a subsidiary of the Improvement and Development Agency (IDeA) which is wholly owned by the LGA.
The Secretary of State for Housing Communities and Local Government has specified PSAA as an appointing person under provisions of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. For audits of the accounts from 2018/19, PSAA appoints an auditor to relevant principal local government bodies that opt into its national scheme.
PSAA has a responsibility for ensuring that the company delivers the following objectives:
- appointing auditors to all relevant authorities;
- setting scales of fees, and charging fees, for the audit of accounts of relevant authorities and consulting with relevant parties in relation to those scales of fees;
- ensuring effective management of contracts with audit firms for the delivery of consistent, quality and effective audit services to relevant authorities;
- ensuring that public money continues to be properly accounted for and protected;
- being financially responsible having regard to the efficiency of operating costs and transparently safeguarding fees charged to audited bodies; and
- leading its people as a good employer, ensuring that it continues to be fit-for-purpose; motivating and supporting its staff; and communicating with them in an open, honest and timely way.