PSAA is responsible for:
- appointing auditors to local public bodies, including councils, police and crime commissioners, chief constables, fire and rescue authorities and small bodies with an annual turnover below £6.5 million;
- setting scales of fees, and charging fees, for the audit of accounts of local public bodies;
- making arrangements for the certification of claims or returns by certain councils in respect of housing benefit subsidy;
- overseeing the delivery by its appointed auditors of consistent, high-quality and effective external audit services to local public bodies; and
- ensuring effective management of contracts with audit firms for the delivery of external audit services to local public bodies.